The iSchool is pleased to offer continuing education students an opportunity to take graduate level courses. Formal admission to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is not necessary, but a bachelor's degree is required. Permission to take additional credit hours may be granted in special circumstances (e.g., alumni seeking professional development, school media endorsement), but please note that a maximum of 12 hours may be applied toward a degree upon matriculation. Please refer to our Continuing Education Guide for more information.
Spring 2017 course enrollment for selected iSchool courses is now open (see list below). For permission to register as a continuing education student, please complete the Request to Enroll form.
If we are able to approve your request (determined by seat availability, course prerequisites, instructor considerations), instructions will be sent regarding registration. If you know of courses you are interested in that are not listed below, we can review your options.
Please contact Karla Lucht, at (217) 244-3810 or klucht [at] illinois.edu if you have questions or would like assistance.
- Registration for Spring 2017 courses is now open.
- Note: “Leep” indicates online offering.
- Requests are approved based on availability of seats.
- Deadline to register is Monday, January 9th
- Request to Enroll
We have a limited number of openings in several online and on-campus graduate credit courses (Full Spring 2017 course listings and descriptions):
Note: Times listed are Central Time.
- LIS 404LE Literature and Resources for Young Adults Th: 5:30-7:30pm
- LIS 409LEB Storytelling Tu: 5:00-7:00pm
- LIS 418LE Community Engagement M: 6:00 - 8:00pm
- LIS 445LE Information Books and Resources for Youth W: 1:00-3:30pm
- LIS 451LE Introduction to Networked Systems M: 6:30-8:30pm
- LIS 452LE Introduction to Information Processing W: 5:50-7:30pm
- LIS 490TEL Introduction to Technology in LIS Th: 6:30 - 8:30pm
- LIS 504LEB Reference and Information Services Th: 6:30-8:30pm
- LIS 515LE Media Literacy for Youth Th: 6:30 - 8:30pm
- LIS 516LE School Library Media Center W: 6:30 - 8:30pm
- LIS 518LE Community Informatics Tu: 4:00-6:00pm
- LIS 524LE Info Resources and Services in the Arts and Humanities Th: 6:00-8:00pm
- LIS 525LE Government Information Th: 6:00-8:00pm
- LIS 527LE Literacy, Reading and Readers Tu: 6:15-8:15pm
- LIS 547LE Information Services to Diverse Populations T: 10:00am- 12:00pm
- LIS 560LE Digital Libraries W 6:00-8:00pm
- LIS 568LE Theological Librarianship W 3:00-5:00pm
- LIS 580LEA Rare Books and Special Collections T: 5:00-7:00pm
- LIS 582LE Preserving Information Resources M: 3:00-5:00pm
- LIS 590BBL Bookbinding: History, Principles, and Practices M: 7:00 - 9:00pm
- LIS 590ELL E-Learning Tu 6:15-8:15pm
- LIS 590GEL Genealogy and Library Service W 10:00am-12:00pm
- LIS 590HBL History of the Book W 6:00-8:00pm
- LIS 590ICL Information Consulting Tu 6:15-8:15pm*
- LIS 590IHL Information History Tu 1:00-3:00pm*
- LIS 590ISL Information Services Marketing M 7:00-9:00pm
- LIS 590MGL Project Management for LIS Th 6:30-9:00pm
- LIS 490ITG Entrepreneurial IT Design Th 9:00-11:50am
- LIS 490TEG Introduction to Technology in LIS Tu,Th 12:30 - 1:50 p.m.
- LIS 527A Literacy, Reading, and Readers M 10:00am-12:50pm
- LIS 548A Library Buildings Th 1:00-3:50pm
- LIS 590AT Issues in Scholarly Communication W 9:00-11:50am
- LIS 590DFT Dialogues on Feminism & Technology W 1:00-3:50pm
- LIS 590DSH Data Science in the Humanities Tu 10:00am-12:50pm
- LIS 590IC Information Consulting Tu 6:15-8:15pm*
- LIS 590IH Information History Tu 1:00-3:00pm*
- LIS 590LF Libraries in Film Th 1:00-3:50pm
Cost and Cancellation Policy
Tuition for academic year 2016-2017 is $1,272 for a two credit-hour course and $2,544 for a four credit-hour course. Note: If you're paying for a class out of your own pocket, don't forget to make use of the Lifelong Learning Tax Credit when you do your income tax at the end of the year. It allows you to take a tax credit for a portion of any money you spend on continuing education.
For more information regarding cancellation of classes, visit this webpage.
Deadline for registration and payment will usually be two weeks before the start of each continuing education activity.