Welcome to the iSchool!
As a new user, we assist you with Moodle, the School's course management system, and Blackboard Collaborate, the web conferencing system used for your online classes. There are guides, live workshops online, and tutorials to help you login and attend your online classes. To get started, see the checklist below. Once again, welcome to the School!
When you have questions, please contact us by emailing help [at] support.lis.illinois.edu, by calling (800) 377-1892 (toll free) or (217) 244-4903, or by visiting the Help Desk on the second floor of the iSchool building.
Getting Started with Accounts
Getting Started with Moodle
- Login to the iSchool intranet (Moodle) with your domain password using the "login" link on the School website or by going directly to http://courses.ischool.illinois.edu. You will see what is called your personal login page that gives you access to course materials, School-wide resources like the community forums, and more!
- Update your profile by clicking on your name in the top right corner of the page. Please introduce yourself by adding text to the description field and upload a picture of yourself (please use a photo of YOU and not your dog, cat, or favorite avatar). This will help us, your instructors, and classmates get to know you!
- Note: On the edit profile page, you can alter other preferences but we suggest not doing so until you get to campus.
- Explore the resources on the main Moodle page (your new virtual "home" on the web).
- You can find out more about Moodle, login pages, etc., in our Moodle Tutorial (requires Illinois Active Directory login).
Getting Started with Blackboard Collaborate
Whether you are an on campus student or distance student, you will take online courses known as live sessions. These sessions occur synchronously every week via a web conferencing platform called Blackboard Collaborate.
- Check live session times. You will not be able to access your online class until 30 minutes before the class start time (Central Time).
- Check your computer's system requirements for Blackboard Collaborate.
- Buy a microphone headset for your live session.
- Follow login instructions including accessing Moodle and downloading the Blackboard Collaborate Launcher.
- Review participant guide for best practices in live sessions.
- Practice using chat, audio, and whiteboard functions in our Drop In Room (requires iSchool login).