La Barre named to BRAJIS editorial board

Kathryn La Barre
Kathryn La Barre, Associate Professor

Associate Professor Kathryn La Barre has been appointed to the editorial board of BRAJIS, the Brazilian Journal of Information Science. She will serve on the board for three years. 

The journal is published by the PostGraduate Program in Information Science at UNESP / Marilia. In addition to advisory duties for the journal, La Barre will review submissions.

“I’m deeply honored by this appointment,” said La Barre. “My work with BRAJIS is an extension of my longstanding involvement in ISKO, the International Society of Knowledge Organization, which connected me with my Brazilian colleagues Rosa Inês de Novais Cordeiro, and José Augusto C. Guimarães, the editor of BRAJIS. I have enjoyed working with my Brazilian colleagues.”

Over the years, La Barre has worked closely with both Guimarães and Cordeiro. La Barre and Guimarães met when they both served as ISKO regional chapter presidents for their respective countries. Cordeiro was a GSLIS Scholar-in-Residence during the 2010-2011 academic year, the same year La Barre received the GSLIS Centennial Scholar award for her research project Facets and Films, an extension of the ongoing Facets and Folklore project she undertook with GSLIS Assistant Professor Carol Tilley. During that time La Barre collaborated with Cordeiro, and last May La Barre was invited to the ISKO-Brasil conference to discuss their work.

La Barre’s research and teaching center on knowledge organization and access systems (both historical and contemporary) and she has published on these subjects in the Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology and the Annual Review of Information Science and Technology.