Get to know Brian Wu (MS '13), data analyst

[image1-right]As a master’s student at GSLIS, Brian Wu worked as a data analysis intern at Neustar, Inc. at the University of Illinois Research Park. Since graduating and moving into and associate data analyst position he’s enjoyed the variety of tasks that come with work in a corporate data analysis setting. He hopes to use what he’s learned at GSLIS and Neustar as he begins to further specialize within this dynamic field.

Where do you work and what is your role?

I am an associate data analyst at Neustar, a company that has been historically known as the neutral provider of many telecommunications services like number portability and Domain Name System services. Today, Neustar is establishing itself as the real-time intelligence authority for business-to-business information and analytics across the globe.

My role within Neustar is an ever-changing one; I am jumping between building ontologies for information systems; metadata documentation; researching and exploring new technological and business opportunities; and user interface/user experience prototyping. Of course, being in the Research Park office also means I help with recruitment, as well as mentorship of interns.

What do you like best about your job?

I love how multifaceted my position is; I am building skills in business and technology, as well as seeing how they're interconnected and impacting each other. Every time I’m successful in building out a full ontology for a system or debugging an automation program, I always get a sense of relief and accomplishment. Moreover, being surrounded by a diverse group of coworkers that are willing to critique, discuss, and debate advances in technology is definitely a huge plus!

How did GSLIS help you get to where you are today?

GSLIS provided me with a lot of insight toward the complex world we live in. There are very few people outside of the LIS field that look at the big picture of everything. Having gone through a spectrum of LIS classes makes me understand that my work is an individual task in addition to it being an extrapolatable point for connecting people and projects. Of course, the faculty and staff at GSLIS are wonderful to work with and speak to; I've heard about countless opportunities, experiences, and suggestions simply by stopping by for a friendly chat.

What advice would you like to share with GSLIS students?

Have an inquisitive mind about everything. Pick up some new technical skills in your spare time and use them in your daily life—it will make implementing them at work much easier. Go to events and talk to people, even if you feel out of place. Find a mentor and be a mentor, in or out of GSLIS; these mentor-mentee interactions will grant you significant insight into your own thought processing and life decisions, and allow you to refine yourself.

Most importantly, get out there and DO things, even if they're not related to your dream job or the LIS field (or actual "work"). You never know what skills or people you might cross paths with, at a volunteer position or a postconference dinner!

What do enjoy doing in your spare time?

I'm a (nerdy) 90's kid at heart, so I always find time to watch anime and play video games. I also enjoy the occasional board game, Dungeons & Dragons adventuring, or star gazing. Of course, being a foodie, I always clear some room in my schedule for cooking experiments or eating at a new restaurant.

Separate from personal pleasure, I am currently acting as the interim director of information technology for Tap In Leadership Academy. Every now and then I perform maintenance and documentation on existing systems, as well as dealing with specific requests to keep things running smoothly at Tap In.

What's next for you?

As much as I like diving into the various parts of Neustar, I am ready to start specializing and finding my own niche. This may mean seeking a specific direction on the job or going back to school part time to achieve the goal. But, before I decide on the path I will take, I am pulling in as many interesting projects as possible and making meaningful connections with people. I believe my time in the Neustar office at Illinois’s Research Park is an amazing experience, and it will definitely push me to transition towards greater and more lofty goals in the near future.

Updated on
Backto the news archive

Related News

Get to know Mojgan Momeni, executive director

Now the executive director of the World Innovations Network, Mojgan Momeni (MSLIS '09) credits her iSchool experience with leading her to discover her true passion—creating an innovative and entrepreneurial network model for global collaboration.

Mojgan Momeni

PhD at 75: Jeanie Austin

The PhD degree program at the iSchool celebrates its 75th anniversary in 2023. This profile is part of a special series featuring PhD alumni. Jeanie Austin (PhD '17) is a jail and reentry services librarian at San Francisco Public Library.

Jeanie Austin

Quiballo selected for I Love My Librarian Award

Ted Quiballo (MSLIS '17) has been selected for a 2024 I Love My Librarian Award. Honorees were selected for their outstanding public service accomplishments. The award is administered by the American Library Association.

Ted Quiballo

iSchool course leads to career with United Airlines

For Elysia Woodward (BSIS '23), it was an introductory class, Exploring the iSchool with a Human-Centered Lens (IS 100), that kickstarted her career. Now an associate in the ECDLP (Early Career Digital Leadership Program) at United Airlines, Woodward found out about United's internship programs and the ECDLP program through IS 100. She applied for an internship position in the summer of 2022 and received a return offer as an ECDLP associate.

Elysia Woodward

PhD at 75: LaTesha Velez

The PhD degree program at the iSchool celebrates its 75th anniversary in 2023. This profile is part of a special series featuring PhD alumni. LaTesha Velez (PhD '17) is an assistant professor at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.

LaTesha Velez