Get to know Victor Jones, Jr., visiting recruiting specialist

GSLIS is pleased to announce that Victor Jones, Jr. has joined the Student Affairs team as a visiting recruiting specialist. In this newly created position, Jones will play an active role in the School’s ongoing efforts to recruit the best and brightest new students, serving as a primary resource for prospective students and as an ambassador to visiting applicants. He also will work to build relationships with peer institutions in support of recruitment and professional development opportunities and will provide one-on-one counseling to current students regarding career directions.

“Victor is an integral part of our recruitment efforts,” said Roy Brooks, assistant director for recruiting and career services. “He will be working hard to connect prospective GSLIS students with areas of the program that match their professional interests.”

Jones graduated from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2012 with a bachelor’s in sociology and recently completed a master’s in college student affairs at Eastern Illinois University. Previous experience in student affairs includes internships at the University of Illinois Women’s Resources Center and Bruce D. Nesbitt African American Cultural Center, and with EIU’s Office of Transfer Relations and TRiO Student Support Services initiative.

What do you like about working in higher education?
I love working in higher education! I love assisting students during this pivotal season of their lives. College can be a VERY INTIMIDATING place, so it’s always important to have an advocate and a mentor that you know is genuinely invested in your growth and development, and I find it very rewarding to be that guy.

Why did you choose to work at GSLIS in particular?
While I was still working on my master’s, I met a couple of students who were in the MS program, and they told me a bit about the program, the career options, the family atmosphere, etc. So, when I began my job search and saw the position at GSLIS, I knew I wanted to pursue it. Then, after researching the careers and meeting GSLIS staff, I knew that this was the place for me. I’m very happy to be a member of the GSLIS family!

Where did you work prior to GSLIS?
GSLIS is actually my first professional position; I just finished my master’s in college student affairs at Eastern Illinois University (EIU) in May 2014. While at EIU, my graduate assistantship was in TRiO Student Support Services, where I had the pleasure of advising/counseling students and introducing them to resources that they may have otherwise been unfamiliar with. 

Where did you grow up?
I was born and raised on the South side of Chicago. 

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
I have VERY wide range of hobbies. I sing, I cut hair, I LOVE sports, I love working out and lifting weights, I love road trips, I’m training to be a professional wrestler, and I’ll be an ordained minister in August 2015.

Favorite food?
I would consider myself a foodie, so I love all food. But I really enjoy comfort foods like candied yams, green beans, fried chicken, banana pudding, baked mac and cheese, etc. These foods remind me of simpler times.

Favorite book?
Maximized Manhood by Edwin Louis Cole

If your life was a book, what would the title be?
The Life and Times of A Walking Oxymoron

Is there any particular advice you would like to share with students?
My advice would be to find your passion and let that passion fuel you to success!

Updated on
Backto the news archive

Related News

Get to know Kyrie Zhixuan Zhou, PhD student

PhD student Kyrie Zhixuan Zhou's goal is to make information and communication technology (ICT) and artificial intelligence (AI) experiences more equitable, accessible, beneficial, and ethical for all. In his free time, he is devoted to helping junior researchers, especially those from populations not typically represented in STEM.

Zhixuan Zhou

Library Trends "Seventieth Anniversary Celebration" now available

The School of Information Sciences at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is pleased to announce the publication of Library Trends 71 (2). This issue, "Seventieth Anniversary Celebration Issue of Library Trends: Influence, Reach, Visibility, and Engagement," reflects the international contributions the journal has made to the field of library and information science.

Library Trends 71

Capshaw to deliver 2024 Gryphon Lecture

Katharine Capshaw, professor of English and associate dean for diversity, equity, and inclusion at the University of Connecticut, will deliver the 2024 Gryphon Lecture on March 21. Sponsored annually by the Center for Children's Books (CCB), the lecture features a leading scholar in the field of youth and literature, media, and culture.

Katharine Capshaw

Campus-community partnership launches new maker-in-residence program

A new program co-led by the Champaign-Urbana Community (CUC) Fab Lab aims to bridge and enhance the creative capabilities of local maker communities. The Champaign County Community (CCC) Maker-in-Residence Program was recently awarded a $29,293 grant through the Campus-Community Compact to Accelerate Social Justice initiative in the Office of Public Engagement.

Cu Community Fab Lab

Get to know Mojgan Momeni, executive director

Now the executive director of the World Innovations Network, Mojgan Momeni (MSLIS '09) credits her iSchool experience with leading her to discover her true passion—creating an innovative and entrepreneurial network model for global collaboration.

Mojgan Momeni