Get to know Liza Booker (MS '13), user experience analyst

Liza Booker

"How do you want to contribute?" Alumna Liza Booker poses this question to GSLIS students. Find your answer, she says, and then use your education to help you make a difference in the world. As a UX analyst, Booker uses her skills to support research that addresses scientific and societal challenges facing the nation.

Where do you work and what is your role?
I work at Argonne National Laboratory as a user experience analyst, providing users with access to our supercomputers, maintaining a database of accounts and projects, and analyzing our processes based on user needs.

What do you like best about your job?
I like that I can incorporate my library skills by working with users and providing them with the information they need, as well as explore the realm of information technology and science.

What do you see as the most important impact of your work?
I provide researchers with the resources they need to do groundbreaking research in STEM.

How did GSLIS help you get to where you are today?
GSLIS helped elevate my research ability and provided a strong support system for my early career in librarianship.

What advice would you like to share with GSLIS students?
Your degree is an enhancement of what you know and who you are, but it is ultimately your interests that determine where that degree takes you in life. Librarians and information professionals help the world in various ways. How do you want to contribute?

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
Cooking and dining, using technology, hanging out with friends, reading, writing, and caring for my spoiled cat.

Updated on
Backto the news archive

Related News

Get to know Mojgan Momeni, executive director

Now the executive director of the World Innovations Network, Mojgan Momeni (MSLIS '09) credits her iSchool experience with leading her to discover her true passion—creating an innovative and entrepreneurial network model for global collaboration.

Mojgan Momeni

PhD at 75: Jeanie Austin

The PhD degree program at the iSchool celebrates its 75th anniversary in 2023. This profile is part of a special series featuring PhD alumni. Jeanie Austin (PhD '17) is a jail and reentry services librarian at San Francisco Public Library.

Jeanie Austin

Quiballo selected for I Love My Librarian Award

Ted Quiballo (MSLIS '17) has been selected for a 2024 I Love My Librarian Award. Honorees were selected for their outstanding public service accomplishments. The award is administered by the American Library Association.

Ted Quiballo

iSchool course leads to career with United Airlines

For Elysia Woodward (BSIS '23), it was an introductory class, Exploring the iSchool with a Human-Centered Lens (IS 100), that kickstarted her career. Now an associate in the ECDLP (Early Career Digital Leadership Program) at United Airlines, Woodward found out about United's internship programs and the ECDLP program through IS 100. She applied for an internship position in the summer of 2022 and received a return offer as an ECDLP associate.

Elysia Woodward

PhD at 75: LaTesha Velez

The PhD degree program at the iSchool celebrates its 75th anniversary in 2023. This profile is part of a special series featuring PhD alumni. LaTesha Velez (PhD '17) is an assistant professor at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.

LaTesha Velez