Get to know Parker Hamilton (MS '73), library system director

Parker Hamilton

“I became fierce at the University of Illinois—ready to learn, share, and grow,” says Parker Hamilton, whose education and attitude set her on a career path that led all the way to the directorship of a public library system serving more than one million people.

Where do you work and what is your role?
I am the director of Montgomery County (Maryland) Public Libraries (MCPL), a library system near Washington, D.C. that serves a minority-majority population of more than one million residents at twenty-two locations, including twenty full-service branches, a Virtual Services branch, and a library within a county correctional facility. With a budget of $39.8 million, MCPL employs more than six hundred staff including full- and part-time staff, substitutes, and library pages.

What do you like best about your job?
I have worked in school libraries, academic libraries, and special libraries. In public libraries, I have found the opportunity to even the playing field. Public libraries open the doors to all at no cost. The fact that the services, programs, and resources are free to all removes barriers to learning, finding a job, creating a business, learning a new language, reading the newest best seller, and accessing computers and e-devices. The public library provides a safe environment to meet, read, learn, and collaborate.

What do you see as the most important impact of your work?
It is very rewarding to see the day-to-day decisions I make and strategic goals that I have developed impact the lives of our residents, especially in the areas of the achievement gap, workforce development, and all forms of literacy, including health, financial, environmental, digital, and early. I take great pride in delighting our customers on a daily basis.

How did GSLIS help you get to where you are today?
I was able to attend the School as a result of the University’s work-study program and a fellowship. I was mentored by Commerce Librarian Esther Claussen and was honored to have studied under Walter Allen, Kathryn Henderson, and Rolland Stevens.

It is the best formal education experience ever; I gained full confidence in my strengths and talents. I took full advantage of the diversity of learning and the opportunities in the classroom and on campus. I became fierce at the University of Illinois—ready to learn, share, and grow.

What advice would you like to share with GSLIS students?
Get out of the classroom; take classes outside of GSLIS. Visit the Douglass Branch Library, which was my first place of employment. Become a public librarian!!!

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
I enjoy playing games on my iPhone, watching the Seattle Seahawks, and traveling by train.

Research Areas:
Updated on
Backto the news archive

Related News

Get to know Mojgan Momeni, executive director

Now the executive director of the World Innovations Network, Mojgan Momeni (MSLIS '09) credits her iSchool experience with leading her to discover her true passion—creating an innovative and entrepreneurial network model for global collaboration.

Mojgan Momeni

PhD at 75: Jeanie Austin

The PhD degree program at the iSchool celebrates its 75th anniversary in 2023. This profile is part of a special series featuring PhD alumni. Jeanie Austin (PhD '17) is a jail and reentry services librarian at San Francisco Public Library.

Jeanie Austin

Quiballo selected for I Love My Librarian Award

Ted Quiballo (MSLIS '17) has been selected for a 2024 I Love My Librarian Award. Honorees were selected for their outstanding public service accomplishments. The award is administered by the American Library Association.

Ted Quiballo

iSchool course leads to career with United Airlines

For Elysia Woodward (BSIS '23), it was an introductory class, Exploring the iSchool with a Human-Centered Lens (IS 100), that kickstarted her career. Now an associate in the ECDLP (Early Career Digital Leadership Program) at United Airlines, Woodward found out about United's internship programs and the ECDLP program through IS 100. She applied for an internship position in the summer of 2022 and received a return offer as an ECDLP associate.

Elysia Woodward

PhD at 75: LaTesha Velez

The PhD degree program at the iSchool celebrates its 75th anniversary in 2023. This profile is part of a special series featuring PhD alumni. LaTesha Velez (PhD '17) is an assistant professor at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.

LaTesha Velez