Get to know Dalal Rahme (MS '14), research data services librarian

Dalal Rahme

Our alumni work all over the world, using the knowledge and skills they learned in their iSchool courses. Dalal Rahme (MS '14) is sharing her knowledge of data curation with students and faculty at the American University of Beirut in Lebanon.

Where do you work and what is your role?

I'm a research data services librarian at the American University of Beirut (AUB) in Lebanon. My main duty is to help researchers find the data they need, organize it, preserve it, and make it accessible for future use through our DataBank. I also assist in the writing of data management plans when required. As a data curator, I work closely with the digital initiatives department, where I am involved in several digital preservation projects. In addition, I teach a digital preservation course at the Graduate School of Library Science at the Lebanese University, which is another great opportunity to be in touch with future librarians.

What do you like best about your job?

What I like best about my job is the continuous learning, diversity of projects, and the everyday challenges that come from working with different types of data, projects, and personalities. All of this helps me learn a great deal of things and acquire new technical and interpersonal skills.

How did the iSchool help you get to where you are today?

I came to the iSchool with an interest in data curation. I became interested in the socio-technical data analytics (SODA) in the first semester and ended up with two concentrations: data curation and SODA. The master's program at the iSchool exceeded my expectations. It equipped me with what I need to specialize in what I do, and it helped me gain new perspective and see more opportunities in the profession.

What advice would you like to share with iSchool students?

Take advantage of the opportunities offered by the School and University. Get involved in sessions, internships, training, alternative spring breaks, and volunteering.

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

I enjoy traveling and learning about other cultures. I also enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, skiing, sailing, and canoeing. I was recently elected a board member of the Lebanese Library Association, and I am very excited to be part of a team working voluntarily on issues related to librarianship in the country. 

Updated on
Backto the news archive

Related News

Elsessers donate $1M to the iSchool in support of faculty and school librarianship

Thanks to a new $1-million gift from Lionelle (BA English '66, MSLIS '67) and James (BS Business '66, MS Business '67) Elsesser, the iSchool will be better able to attract and retain outstanding faculty and educate future school librarians. Their latest donation will be directed to the iSchool Alumni Association Endowed Professorship Fund, Leigh Estabrook Faculty Development Fund, and Public School Licensure Program Fund.

James and Lionelle Elsesser

Senior Spotlight: Colton Keiser

After graduating with his BSIS degree in May, Colton Keiser will head to St. Louis to work as an internal audit and financial advisory consultant with Protiviti. He gained experience in auditing while working as an intern for the Montgomery County Public Defender in his hometown of Hillsboro, Illinois.

Colton Keiser

Get to know Michael Ferrer, MSIM student

After spending some time in the defense IT industry, Michael Ferrer decided to return to school for his MSIM degree to gain skills in areas such as data visualization and advance his career. Outside of his studies, Ferrer is a competitive ballroom dancer and member of the Illinois Army National Guard.

Michael Ferrer

Get to know Kyrie Zhixuan Zhou, PhD student

PhD student Kyrie Zhixuan Zhou's goal is to make information and communication technology (ICT) and artificial intelligence (AI) experiences more equitable, accessible, beneficial, and ethical for all. In his free time, he is devoted to helping junior researchers, especially those from populations not typically represented in STEM.

Zhixuan Zhou

Get to know Mojgan Momeni, executive director

Now the executive director of the World Innovations Network, Mojgan Momeni (MSLIS '09) credits her iSchool experience with leading her to discover her true passion—creating an innovative and entrepreneurial network model for global collaboration.

Mojgan Momeni