Student Travel Support

The School provides a limited amount of travel funding each semester to support graduate students who are actively participating in a conference. Any graduate student who is delivering a paper or poster at a meeting of a professional organization may apply for travel assistance.

Travel funds are budgeted in three seasons (fall, spring, summer) and requests will be granted on a first-come/first-served basis until the funds are exhausted in each season. Students may apply for a maximum of $1,000 per academic year. A coauthored work requires students to share the allocation or decide who will deliver the work at the conference. It is recommended that travelers plan as far in advance as possible so that they can obtain the best prices on air transportation and lodging.

Please note that campus policy requires students to purchase CISI insurance for a minimal charge through the Study Abroad Office if they travel outside the United States under University sponsorship.

Please follow these procedures: A request for support must be submitted by email (see contact information below), in advance of the travel, and must include official conference publication or notification that indicates the student's participation in the program is certain. The written request should also include the name, date, and location of the conference. After conference attendance, the student will submit proof of attendance to receive the award.

Levels of Support

$50 for in-state travel
$500 for travel in the continental United States
$750 for North American travel outside the continental United States (i.e., Canada, Mexico, Alaska)
$1,000 for Hawaii and international travel

Students may receive their travel funds from School endowments: in these cases, they will be expected to send the donor a thank-you note and a copy of the work presented at the conference. Students may also be asked to present their work or experiences to a class or special program.

Other Sources of Funding

Students are strongly encouraged to seek funding from The Graduate College. Travel grants up to $300 are available to graduate students per academic year. Students should apply for funding early in the semester to receive funds for travel in that semester, or they may apply for funding later in the semester to be received, if the award is granted, in the following semester after the travel has taken place. The Graduate College will support up to five iSchool students per semester. The student is responsible for submitting to the School the Graduate College award letter and the travel receipts if matching funds are required, and requesting a letter of endorsement if required.

The Graduate College Fellowship Office also awards Dissertation Travel Grants in amounts up to $5,000. Awards are not granted for conference travel and usually will not reimburse travel that has already taken place. Students should also visit the Graduate College Fellowship Office (further information at and peruse the Fellowship Bulletin for additional funding sources. For more information, contact: Graduate College Fellowship Office, 209 Coble Hall, MC-322; (217) 333-0036. E-mail: fellowship [at]

There are also various area studies and topical centers on the Illinois campus that might be sources of funding, depending on the nature of the conference or presentation. These should be investigated, as appropriate.

Requests for travel assistance should be submitted to

Linda C. Smith, Professor and Associate Dean for Academic Programs
School of Information Sciences
112E Library and Information Science Building, MC-493
501 East Daniel Street
Champaign, Illinois 61820-6211
tel. (217) 333-7742, fax (217) 244-3302
lcsmith [at]

Effective January 1, 2004