From September 15-18, GSLIS Student Affairs will host Career Exploration Week. The week will feature talks by professionals from different career areas in library and information science in order to help students explore the many options open to an LIS professional. Speakers will discuss how their professional interests developed and evolved, share what a typical work day is like, and offer advice for those interested in pursuing a similar path. There will be time for questions.
Events will be held at 7 p.m. virtually in the Student Services Meeting Room (GSLIS login and password required).
Public Libraries: Monday, September 15
- Karyn Applegate (MS '11), Director of the Rock Hill (MO) Public Library
- Toby Greenwalt (MS '04), Director of Digital Strategy and Technology Implementation at Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
- Samantha Sednek (MS '11), Head of Youth Services at Medford Public Library
Academic Libraries: Tuesday, September 16
- Becky Hodson (MS '13), Reference Librarian, Public Support Services, at Kishwaukee College Library
- Eric Phetteplace (MS '11), Systems Librarian at California College of the Arts
- Yasmeen Shorish (MS '11), Physical & Life Sciences Librarian and Data Management Consultant at James Madison University
Research and Knowledge Management: Wednesday, September 17
- Katie Webber (MS '11), Knowledge Management Specialist at Bain and Co.
- Matt Smith (MS '11), Assistant Director of Prospect Research and Management for The University of Maryland Medical System
- Yoo Seong-Song, Associate Professor at the Social Sciences, Health, and Education Library at the University of Illinois and Adjunct Instructor (business specialty) at GSLIS
Taxonomy and User Experience: Thursday, September 18
- Lori Hurley (MS '13), Information Architect at Allstate Insurance
- Cate Kompare (MS '13), User Experience Designer at Pixo
- Jenny Benevento (MS '05), Category Analyst at Etsy