Get to know Thomas Mukonde, MS student

This week the University of Illinois celebrates both Graduate Student Appreciation Week and International Week. At GSLIS, we are proud of all our students and our international connections, including faculty, research fellows, scholars-in-residence, and students like Thomas Mukonde, who hails from Zambia.

ThomasM_150dpi.jpg?itok=Lfgiz5KQ Why did you decide to pursue an LIS degree?

I decided to do an LIS degree because I have always been interested in helping people. My first job out of college was elementary school teaching. While I enjoyed this greatly, I wanted to pursue a profession that has broader application to the education and empowerment of young people in various contexts. This led me to working for a nonprofit that develops libraries for children in African countries. I'm currently working toward a youth services certificate.

Why did you choose GSLIS?

I chose to come to GSLIS at the suggestion of my boss and mentor at my previous job. GSLIS has a reputation for excellent LIS scholarship and particular strengths in youth services. It has also consistently been the top-ranked LIS school in the United States.

What particular LIS topics interest you most?

I like thinking about information behavior, in particular among the youth. Additionally, I'm interested in media literacy and library instruction.

What do you do outside of class?

I like relaxing with a group of friends after a busy week and attending musical shows around Urbana-Champaign.

What career plans or goals do you have?

I'd like to work to strengthen youth services librarianship in Africa following my work at GSLIS.

Updated on
Backto the news archive

Related News

Senior Spotlight: Colton Keiser

After graduating with his BSIS degree in May, Colton Keiser will head to St. Louis to work as an internal audit and financial advisory consultant with Protiviti. He gained experience in auditing while working as an intern for the Montgomery County Public Defender in his hometown of Hillsboro, Illinois.

Colton Keiser

Winning exhibit features recipes from across the globe

MSLIS students Yung-hui Chou, Alice Tierney-Fife, and Elizabeth Workman are the winners of this year’s Graduate Student Exhibit Contest, sponsored by the University of Illinois Library. Their exhibit, "Culture and Cuisine in Diaspora: A Hidden Library Collection," displays items from seven campus libraries and highlights research and recreational material centered on traditional recipes from across the globe. The exhibit is on display in the library's Marshall Gallery through the end of April and also available online.

Get to know Michael Ferrer, MSIM student

After spending some time in the defense IT industry, Michael Ferrer decided to return to school for his MSIM degree to gain skills in areas such as data visualization and advance his career. Outside of his studies, Ferrer is a competitive ballroom dancer and member of the Illinois Army National Guard.

Michael Ferrer

ConnectED: Tech for All podcast launched by Community Data Clinic

The Community Data Clinic (CDC), a mixed methods data studies and interdisciplinary community research lab led by Associate Professor Anita Say Chan, has released the first episode of its new podcast, ConnectED: Tech for All. Community partners on the podcast include the Housing Authority of Champaign County, Champaign-Urbana Public Health District, Project Success of Vermilion County, and Cunningham Township Supervisor’s Office.

Community Data Clinic podcast logo

Get to know Kyrie Zhixuan Zhou, PhD student

PhD student Kyrie Zhixuan Zhou's goal is to make information and communication technology (ICT) and artificial intelligence (AI) experiences more equitable, accessible, beneficial, and ethical for all. In his free time, he is devoted to helping junior researchers, especially those from populations not typically represented in STEM.

Zhixuan Zhou