Get to know William Langston (MS '14), digital learning librarian

William Langston

It’s no surprise that a digital learning librarian doesn’t work within the boundaries of a physical library. In this role at Latin School of Chicago, William Langston isn’t even confined to the walls of the school building. In addition to working with students and faculty in person and virtually, Langston leads field trips, collaborates with Chicago-area colleges, and supports external research initiatives with ties to Chicago’s historic Old Town neighborhood.

Where do you work and what is your role?
I work at Latin School of Chicago in the Upper School Library as the digital learning librarian. Latin School of Chicago is located on the north side of Chicago in the city's Old Town neighborhood.

My role is to help transform Latin School's library from a purely traditional space to a flexible learning environment that incorporates interactive, collaborative, and engaging experiences for creative learning.

As a faculty member, I work with students and teachers not only in the library but also in the classroom and off-campus ventures that enhance the Latin experience. I am fortunate to have the opportunity to co-lead projects and summer classes that feature STEM components.

What do you like best about your job?
I love that my roles do not limit me to just one set of curricula, one classroom, or one working partner. This gives me the flexibility to form many professional relationships across divisions, departments, and disciplines within and outside of the school. In house, I have often focused on developing relationships with many members of the IT staff, as their department often intersects with current and emerging trends in LIS. I have also formed working relationships with faculty from Chicago-area colleges interested in working with the school.

Since my time at GSLIS, I have been vested in project-based learning. I enjoy continuing this type of work with Latin classes on various extracurricular, community-based, and in-class projects while introducing students to many of the digital resources housed at the school. My specialty is providing demographic data visualizations for neighborhood and historical research. I have used my platform to craft myself as a sort of in-house demographer.

What do you see as the most important impact of your work?
The most important impact of my work is being able to serve the students of Latin School and contribute to the school's community projects and initiatives that aid and capture genuine and diverse realities throughout Chicago.

I have co-led week-long project field trips that tour traditionally migrant and immigrant neighborhoods throughout Chicago such as Bronzeville, Chinatown, Pilsen, and Roger's Park. It is important for students to be educated on how diverse cultures have flourished and shaped Chicago over the decades. In turn, it gives students a glimpse of the many traditions and stories that add to the city and the nation's historic narrative.

How did GSLIS help you get to where you are today?
Upon entry into GSLIS, I elected for a community informatics emphasis because I sought to engage, inform, and equip communities in today's fast-changing and commercial digital society. My study of design thinking in LIS490IT: Entrepreneurial IT Design, taught by Professor Michael Twidale, aligned closely with my pursuits and piqued my interest in many great opportunities while attending GSLIS and afterwards. Another course, LIS490GI: Geographic Information Systems (GIS), introduced me to a product-platform that I could use as an in-demand skill. I utilize GIS in my current work at Latin School of Chicago and as a volunteer for initiatives with other Chicago area school districts.

What advice would you like to share with GSLIS students?
I would strongly advise GSLIS students to apply their current studies while in school. Volunteer, work internships, and network at conferences. Don't wait until after graduation to get started. This profession relies on active and lifelong learning. In fact, many future employers are still learning how to use our skill sets, so get in there early and make your passion become the work you do.

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
In my spare time, I love to play and talk about sports. I am a major sports fanatic. I enjoy playing golf and kayaking in summer. I recently started a trial with cardio boxing, and I'm really liking it so far. If I'm not watching or playing sports, then I might be reading a novel, watching a movie, or playing with and learning about some new tech toy.

Research Areas:
Updated on
Backto the news archive

Related News

Get to know Mojgan Momeni, executive director

Now the executive director of the World Innovations Network, Mojgan Momeni (MSLIS '09) credits her iSchool experience with leading her to discover her true passion—creating an innovative and entrepreneurial network model for global collaboration.

Mojgan Momeni

PhD at 75: Jeanie Austin

The PhD degree program at the iSchool celebrates its 75th anniversary in 2023. This profile is part of a special series featuring PhD alumni. Jeanie Austin (PhD '17) is a jail and reentry services librarian at San Francisco Public Library.

Jeanie Austin

Quiballo selected for I Love My Librarian Award

Ted Quiballo (MSLIS '17) has been selected for a 2024 I Love My Librarian Award. Honorees were selected for their outstanding public service accomplishments. The award is administered by the American Library Association.

Ted Quiballo

iSchool course leads to career with United Airlines

For Elysia Woodward (BSIS '23), it was an introductory class, Exploring the iSchool with a Human-Centered Lens (IS 100), that kickstarted her career. Now an associate in the ECDLP (Early Career Digital Leadership Program) at United Airlines, Woodward found out about United's internship programs and the ECDLP program through IS 100. She applied for an internship position in the summer of 2022 and received a return offer as an ECDLP associate.

Elysia Woodward

PhD at 75: LaTesha Velez

The PhD degree program at the iSchool celebrates its 75th anniversary in 2023. This profile is part of a special series featuring PhD alumni. LaTesha Velez (PhD '17) is an assistant professor at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.

LaTesha Velez