Get to know Galen Kelly, MS student

Galen Kelly

Master's student Galen Kelly has focused his studies on knowledge management and applied business research and supplemented his educational experience by working as a business research consultant. He is currently completing an internship in product strategy at U.S. Cellular and preparing to graduate this August.

Why did you decide to pursue an LIS degree?
I wanted something that would provide me with a variety of high-quality options because when I began the program, I wasn't entirely sure what I wanted to do after graduating. The diversity of coursework and research/professional opportunities associated with this degree were incredibly appealing, so I applied.

Why did you choose the iSchool at Illinois?
The iSchool was the clear choice for me because of its connections to other departments at Illinois (namely Business, for my interests), excellent faculty, and course offerings. After making my choice, I was very impressed by the way staff handled my application and communicated all decisions, etc.

What particular LIS topics interest you most?
I've focused mainly on information management (knowledge management) and applied market/business research, and the courses I've taken reflect this. Information Consulting and Applied Business Research: Competitive Intelligence & Knowledge Management, both taught by Associate Professor Yoo-Seong Song, were especially useful in building knowledge and skills applicable to real-world situations. They were also a lot of fun! In addition, reference is a very useful LIS area, even if you're like me and aren't planning to work in a traditional library setting. Being able to locate obscure information from a variety of sources is a great skill to have in any research-heavy field.  

What do you do outside of class?
On campus, I managed a business research team, was a consultant with Illinois Business Consulting, and worked as a graduate assistant at the Grainger Engineering Library, so my schedule was pretty full, but I still found time for fun.

I enjoy travel, and I had the opportunity to visit Panama in Fall 2015 as well as Japan and Korea in Spring 2016. Live music also holds a special place in my heart, and luckily Champaign-Urbana is a great place to find it, especially considering its relatively small size. The Krannert Center in Urbana is an excellent option (shows/concerts are incredibly cheap for students!), and the Canopy Club (a block from Krannert) is also worth checking out.

Currently, I'm undertaking the challenge of learning Mandarin Chinese as well as learning to sail on the weekends. Both are keeping me quite busy, but that's how I like it!

What career plans or goals do you have?
I'm currently working in a role that is essentially a marriage of business strategy and product management, and I'd like to continue doing something similar. It's challenging, rewarding, and an amazing opportunity for continuous, hands-on learning. I'm also toying with the idea of going back to school for another degree—likely an MBA—down the line to explore additional options, but that's a bridge I'll cross when I come to it.

Updated on
Backto the news archive

Related News

New EU legislation has iSchool connection

Thanks to new European Union (EU) legislation, those who perform on-demand work through an app or website, such as DoorDash or Uber, will enjoy better working conditions. PhD student Zachary Kilhoffer, who spent four years working as a researcher for the Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS) in Brussels prior to entering the iSchool's doctoral program, authored or co-authored several policy research pieces that informed the creation of the EU Platform Work Directive.

Zak Kilhoffer

Undergraduate Research Symposium features iSchool researchers

Several iSchool undergraduate students will participate in the 17th annual Undergraduate Research Symposium. During the event, visitors will learn about undergraduate research projects through oral and poster presentations, creative performances, and art exhibits. All are welcome to attend the symposium, which will be held on April 25 from 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. in the Illini Rooms and South Lounge of the Illini Union. 

iSchool researchers present at iConference 2024

The following iSchool faculty and students participated in the virtual portion of iConference 2024 from April 15-18. The in-person portion of the conference will be held in Changchun, China, from April 22-26. The theme of this year’s conference is "Wisdom, Well-being, Win-win."

Wegrzyn awarded SMART Scholarship

PhD student Emily Wegrzyn has been selected for the prestigious Science, Mathematics, and Research for Transformation (SMART) Scholarship-for-Service Program, which is funded by the Department of Defense. The primary aim of this program is to increase the number of civilian engineers and scientists in the U.S. 

Emily Wegrzyn