Get to know Tura Dover, MS student

Tura Dover

Master's student Tura Dover served as an intern for the Illinois Library Association (ILA) during its annual conference on October 10-12. Dover worked at the registration desk and said the best part about her experience was "meeting people from different arms of the library system and LIS programs" as well as getting a better understanding of the ILA.

Why did you decide to pursue an LIS degree? 

One of my first jobs after graduating with my bachelor's degree in psychology from Illinois State University was working part time in the outreach department of my local public library. I really enjoyed learning about the different services that were offered in my community, and the position allowed me to get experience in technical services and circulation. After two years, I applied for a full-time library assistant position in circulation and got it! During that time, I met several people who were earning their MLIS degrees, and I added it to the list of potential post-graduate degrees I was interested in pursuing. After transferring to the technical services department, my new manager sat me down and encouraged me to apply. It was only then that I started to put in the work to research the degree. During my research, I realized versatility of the LIS degree, which was a key component of why I decided to apply.

Why did you choose the iSchool at Illinois?

I chose the iSchool because several of my managers had graduated from the MS/LIS program and highly recommended it. I also liked the fact that it was only 45 minutes away, and the program allowed me the flexibility of combining Leep and on-campus classes. 

What particular LIS topics interest you the most?

When I applied for the program, I considered focusing on technical services, as that was the department where I had the most work experience. However, after listening to a few recordings from Student Affairs in which former and current students shared their different career paths, I decided to take courses in a wide range of topics. I enjoyed Yoo-Seong Song's business research/competitive intelligence courses, Melissa Wong's reference and instruction courses, Terry Weech's international librarianship class, and Bob Burger's administration and management class. I found that the courses that challenged me in some way while allowing me to experience the immediate real-world applications were the most fulfilling and exciting.

What do you do outside of class?

I work full time and take two classes each semester, and when time permits, I catch up with friends and family. I enjoy traveling as well and try to incorporate some time for that during school breaks. But mostly I'm eating, listening to podcasts, and catching up on movies I've missed seeing in the theatre. I'm looking forward to volunteering, reading for pleasure, and perhaps learning a new skill in my free time once I graduate in December!

What career plans or goals do you have?

My ideal plan is to find a job that allows me to marry the business research skills I've gained with my interest in travel, while still helping others gain access to information. I'm excited to continue to grow and learn and have considered earning an MBA or MS/IM degree within the next five years.

Updated on
Backto the news archive

Related News

Hu defends dissertation

Doctoral candidate Yuerong Hu successfully defended her dissertation, "Complexities and Nuances of Online Book Reviews in Scholarly Research," on March 6.

Yuerong Hu

iSchool undergraduate launches new initiative to promote women in data science

A new student organization at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign will promote diversity and inclusion in data science and empower women in the STEM field. Samridhi Verma, BSIS+DS student and an ambassador for Women in Data Science (WiDS) Worldwide, launched the new initiative because of her interest in fostering a community where students and professionals can connect, share insights, and grow together. WiDS Urbana-Champaign welcomes individuals of all genders who support the cause, including students, professionals, and academics from a variety of backgrounds and expertise levels in data science and related fields.

Samridhi Verma

Uplifting diverse communities through advocacy, art

Leep (MSLIS online) student Katherine Witzig is an advocate, scholar, and artist. She is a member of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma and an advocate within the 2SLGBTQ+ and disability communities, drawing upon her personal experiences to amplify the voices of underserved populations. 

Katherine Witzig

iSchool projects receive campus funding to address racism and social justice

Three of the twelve projects that recently received funding through the Chancellor's Call to Action Research Program to Address Racism and Social Justice are led or co-led by iSchool researchers. The program is a $2 million annual commitment by the University of Illinois to respond to the critical need for universities across the nation to prioritize research focused on systemic racial inequities and injustices that exist not only in communities but in higher education itself.

Anita Say Chan