As an iSchool student, you have the opportunity to enhance your education by studying abroad. Our School partners with Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange (IAGE) to help you enrich your global perspective while earning credits toward your degree. Our advisors are also available to assist you in determining how an international program can fit into your individual academic plan. Together, we can find the right opportunity to advance your professional goals.
Virtual Global Experience (VGE)
VGE opportunities are internships, research, and projects with universities, international organizations, alumni mentors, or companies abroad. Interested students should pursue an I4I scholarship.
- Campus B: Internships in Brazil offers internship programs and experiential learning in a structured online working format. Interns work alongside Brazilian students and experienced professionals and with a dedicated supervisor and program coordinator. Program fees: $880-$1,080 in addition to a $25 application fee and $150 administration fee. Enrollment in LAS 199 is required.
- VACorps offers internships with a South African company, startup, nonprofit, or NGO. Hybrid opportunities may include starting an internship remotely and then traveling to South Africa to meet colleagues in person and enjoy local travel adventures. Program fees: $750-$950 in addition to a $25 application fee and $150 administration fee. Enrollment in LAS 199 is required.
- Sage Corps offers customized 12-week remote internships with global startups. Students can work on projects in relevant areas of data analytics and software development. Opportunities also include developing foreign language skills. Program fees: $1,999 in addition to a $25 application fee and $150 administration fee. Enrollment in LAS 199 is required.
- Barcelona SAE offers unique, project-based internships with start-up companies in Barcelona, Spain. Opportunities are available in Spanish or English. Program fees: $799-$999 in addition to a $150 administration fee. Enrollment in LAS 199 is required.
- Virtual Mojo offers placements with unique Indian social enterprises and not-for-profits. Opportunities include UI design, UX writing, and data visualization. Program fees: $700 in addition to a $25 application fee and $150 administration fee. Enrollment in LAS 199 is required.
Additional global experiences at Illinois
Building global competency is beneficial for students, both personally and professionally. If you are looking for opportunities outside of the classroom, here are some great options:
Global Leaders: Orange and Blue Engagement (GLOBE) connects Blue members (current university students) with Orange members (new incoming students) and teams them up in small groups to participate in various activities and events throughout the semester.
ISSSTrains encompasses workshops, student and scholar panels, and coaching to build global skills that lead to more effective and enjoyable intercultural communication.
Intensive English Institute offers opportunities for professional development and to advance research in the field of second language teaching.
Campus research/area studies centers
- Center for Latin American & Caribbean Studies
- The Lemann Center for Brazilian Studies
- Center for African Studies
- Center for East Asian and Pacific Studies
- European Union Center
- Center for Global Studies
- Center for South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies
- Russian, East European and Eurasian Center
- Women and Gender in Global Perspectives Program
- The Program in Translation & Interpreting Studies
- ACDIS (Program in Arms Control and Domestic and International Security)
- University YMCA (student organizations, workshops/trainings, and events)
- Illinois Leadership Competencies: Community/Society: Global Competence LibGuide