Student organizations enhance the educational experience, providing opportunities to expand your skills and develop relationships. You also get to know yourself better—your strengths, your goals, and your ability to interact in a variety of situations.
Want to make connections, explore your interests, and build new skill sets? Get involved in one or more of the many student and professional organizations available to iSchool students. The benefits include enhancing your leadership and teamwork skills, networking through events, interacting with diverse groups of people, and of course, having fun!
American Library Association (ALA)
Our ALA student chapter, founded in September 1981, has a long history of bringing notable professionals to campus for guest lectures, organizing field trips and professional activities, and coordinating student travel to ALA conferences.
Association for Information Science & Technology (ASIS&T)
The ASIS&T student chapter at Illinois has been active since 1977 in sponsoring programs—lectures, field trips, projects—to supplement iSchool coursework. The student chapter was selected in 1987 as the winner of the first Student Chapter-of-the-Year Award, established by ASIST to recognize outstanding student chapters for their participation in, and contributions to, the Society and the advancement of information science.
Community Informatics (CI) Club
This club provides opportunities for activism and connections with local community efforts as well as social and professional development.
This student-driven organization supports new students through mentorship, encourages collaboration between professional organizations, and promotes networking across all aspects of the iSchool community.
Chinese Student Group
The Chinese Student Group works to establish strong communication and interaction between iSchool Chinese students and alumni, other student groups, and library communities regarding study, life, and career. It also serves as a bridge between the iSchool and China in order to contribute to LIS research, practice, and education in a global context.
Data Science Club
In this club, students explore data-oriented careers through special projects. It offers a speaker series about cutting-edge research in data science and networking events with top data science companies.
iSchool Ambassadors are a group of students dedicated to promoting the mission and vision of the iSchool at Illinois. These students work alongside Recruitment & Admissions and Student Affairs staff, serving as liaisons to prospective and incoming students.
iSchool Students of Color
This group is a safe space where iSchool students of color can create, support, and promote a community at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and beyond. Our goals are to develop the professional skills and personal growth of its members and add to the quality of the library and information science community at large.
Progressive Librarians Guild (PLG)
The PLG promotes the open exchange of radical views on library issues, with members teaming up to support progressive and democratic library activities locally, nationally, and internationally.
Queer Library Alliance (QLA)
Through social activities, field trips, and professional development opportunities, QLA explores ways that librarians and archivists can provide better service for their LGBTQ patrons.
The Society of American Archivists (SAA)
This student group promotes archival awareness and interest within the iSchool community through lectures, seminars, convocations, and field trips.
Special Libraries Association (SLA)
The SLA is an international association for innovative information professionals and their strategic partners in business, government, academic, and other “specialized” settings.
Explore professional organizations
Get an early start in learning about your profession by joining a national organization in your field, including:
- American Alliance of Museums
- American Association of School Librarians
- American Library Association
- American Medical Informatics Association
- American Theological Library Association
- Art Libraries Society of North America
- Association of College and Research Libraries
- Association of Records Managers and Administrators
- Association for Computing Machinery
- Association for Educational Communications and Technology
- Association for Information and Image Management
- Association for Information Science & Technology
- Association for Library Services to Children
- Digital Analytics Association
- Digital Library Federation
- Government Documents Round Table
- Illinois Library Association
- Illinois School Library Media Association
- International Federation of Library Associations
- International Society for Biocuration
- International Society for Computational Biology
- Library and Information Technology Association
- Medical Library Association
- Public Library Association
- Society of American Archivists
- Special Libraries Association
- Strategic and Competitive Intelligence Professionals
- Young Adult Library Services Association
Have questions or need more information? I can help!