Three iSchool students worked on a 3D scanning service project and software development project as part of their practicum experience at the Innovation, Discovery, Design, & Data Lab (IDEA Lab). Located in Grainger Engineering Library, the IDEA Lab serves as a demonstration and prototyping site for exploring the interface between design learning, informatics, visualization, and data analytics.
Benefits to the site supervisor
Want to bring energy, enthusiasm, and new perspectives to your workplace while providing valuable hands-on experience for an aspiring information professional? There is no better way than hosting a talented iSchool student for a practicum.
Consider supervising a student or submit a practicum announcement for the iSchool's student job board, including a description of your organization, the work, and the required background. View our sample practicum descriptions for guidance in promoting opportunities at your organization. When you and a student are matched, you will be responsible for working to develop specific learning outcomes that will guide practicum activities as well as supervising the student during the 100 hours of fieldwork experience.
Questions about supervising a practicum? Contact us today!
Benefits to the student
The practicum experience allows students to:
- Gain practical experience based on the understanding and application of theoretical knowledge.
- Observe the analysis of and solutions to problems arising in professional work settings.
- Interact with colleagues in a professional work environment.
- Participate in a representative range of professional activities in the work setting.
- Develop professional self-awareness