Undergraduate students who wish to pursue degrees in other U of I colleges as well as the iSchool must follow the procedure for completing a dual degree.
Students must discuss and apply directly to the college of interest for intercollegiate transfer (ICT)/dual-degree candidacy. Those who are not currently enrolled in the iSchool must apply for the iSchool intercollegiate transfer (ICT) and be accepted prior to applying for a dual degree.
iSchool requirements for dual degrees
- Students who are seeking dual-degree candidacy must complete the full application process, which includes securing appropriate advising and receiving approval at the departmental and college levels according to the required schedule. Part of the planning process involves meeting with the advisors in each of the proposed majors to determine class choices and assess whether a second degree is an appropriate path to achieving educational goals.
- Students must complete all the requirements specified for both degree programs as well as an additional 30 hours above those required for the degree with the highest number of total required hours.
- All iSchool general education requirements must be fulfilled, including non-primary language.
- Students who wish to complete a dual degree must earn at least 12 hours of distinct, advanced level coursework in the iSchool major discipline. Careful planning is important because these courses cannot be used to meet another degree program's requirements.
- Curricular combinations with significant course overlap are not allowed.
- Students also must review the University's rules governing dual degrees, which can be found in §3: 801 in the Student Code.
Students must meet the eligibility standards of the two colleges and individual programs. An Illinois GPA of 3.00 will be required of all students at the time of application for a dual degree in the iSchool.
University regulations require that the 30 additional hours for the dual degree must be completed on the Urbana campus.
All dual degree candidates in the School of Information Sciences must be enrolled in the iSchool as their primary college for a minimum of two semesters. In addition, candidates must complete 12 distinct advanced hours in the iSchool major that are not used in meeting the requirements of any other degree program.
Maximum terms of eligibility
All candidates for iSchool degrees are accorded a maximum of 10 semesters of total University enrollment to complete their degrees. This includes semesters completed at other institutions.
Timing in completion of dual degree
Students can complete the requirements for either or both degrees whenever they are able, but they must graduate from both degree programs in the same semester.