James Scholars Honors Program
The James Scholar Honors Program in the School of Information Sciences recognizes the talents of academically outstanding students, promotes curricular/co-curricular growth, and helps prepare students to stand out in their future endeavors. James Scholars may also receive:
- Priority registration for classes
- A special distinction as a "James Scholar" on final transcripts upon graduation
- Programming to address areas such as undergraduate research, international experiences, career development, and co-curricular opportunities
- More direct interaction with professors and advisors
Who is eligible?
Students are automatically considered upon application to the University, and there is no separate application. Incoming students who are at the top of the college's incoming freshman class (based on a combination of ACT/SAT score, high school GPA, application essays, and related involvement) are eligible, as are on-campus transfer students who are certified by their previous college as James Scholars. The iSchool accepts self-nominations during certain times of the semester, typically until one week into the fall and spring semesters.
What are the requirements?
Students work with advisors to create an individual honors plan, selecting from academic and co-curricular experiences. In addition, students must meet the following requirements:
- Maintain a UIUC semester and cumulative GPA of at least 3.50 (coursework from other institutions will not apply)
- Maintain full-time enrollment and complete at least 12 graded credit hours during each fall and spring semester
- Complete the required minimum number of honors courses and co-curricular experiences each academic semester
- Complete one honors project each fall and spring semester (minimum of four honors projects required for students self-nominating), which will provide opportunities for growth in one of the four foundational program areas: academics, research, community and global engagement, and leadership
If you have any questions about the iSchool's James Scholars Program, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.