A welcoming environment for everyone
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion creates an environment of respectful and thoughtful interactions among members of the iSchool and campus family. Here, you'll find a culture where diversity of thought, personal integrity, and inclusive excellence prepares leaders for an increasingly global and digital society. It's a home where the emotional and intellectual well-being of the full community is supported.
How do we foster diversity and inclusion?
- We encourage leadership, policies, and practices that are inclusive.
- We integrate diverse and critical perspectives into the curriculum and research.
- We actively recruit and retain traditionally underrepresented groups of students, faculty, and staff.
- We create an environment where difference is valued and conflict is managed with care.
The iSchool supports diversity of worldviews, histories, and cultural knowledge across a range of social groups including race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, abilities, economic class, religion, and their intersections. Academic, recruitment, and campus-wide inclusion initiatives assist us in this mission, including:
- A joint degree in LIS and African Studies in collaboration with the Center for African Studies.
- Financial aid services and scholarships for MS/LIS students in underrepresented groups.
- Spectrum Scholarship program, which expands efforts to recruit racially and ethnically diverse students to the LIS profession.
- iSchool Diversity Committee oversees all aspects of the efforts by the School to foster a diverse community.
- Campus support through the Office of Student Affairs, various cultural houses, Inclusive Illinois diversity initiatives, the Office of Inclusion & Intercultural Relations, and the Graduate College.