Jana M. Perkins
PhD, Information Sciences, Illinois (in progress)
MS, Information Management, Illinois (in progress)
MA, English, McGill University
Honors and Awards
Selected Awards and Distinctions (Total awarded to-date: over $131,500 USD)
- Graduate Scholarship, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2023
- Doctoral Fellowship, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC), 2020–present
- Graduate Bursary, Christ’s College, University of Cambridge, (Declined) 2020
- Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarship, SSHRC, McGill University, 2019
- Arthur B. McDonald Prize for Academic Excellence, Queen’s University, (Declined) 2018
- R. A. Wilson Memorial Scholarship, University of Saskatchewan, 2017
Publications & Papers
Recent Publications, Invited Talks, and Conference Proceedings
Hickman, Miranda and Perkins, Jana M. (Under contract.) Deep literacy, digital time. Routledge.
Brighton, Jack, Perkins, Jana M., and Unruh, Sarah. (2022). More investing, less arresting: A public health model for reducing gun violence in Detroit. Community Data Clinic.
Hickman, Miranda, and Perkins, Jana M. (2021). Deepening attention, changing minds. ACLA Annual Meeting.
Perkins, Jana M. (2021). Sentiment analysis: What is it, and how can it be used? School of Information Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Computational Social Science, Social Computing
- Computing for Social Good
- Data Analytics and Human Centered Data
- Data Curation
- Digital Humanities
- Information Visualization
- Natural Language Processing, Text Mining, Text Analysis, Computational Linguistics
- Network Science and Network Analysis
- Semantic Computing and Technologies
- Social and Information Networks
- Social Media