Jana M. Perkins
PhD, Information Sciences, Illinois (in progress)
MS, Information Management, Illinois (in progress)
MA, English, McGill University
Honors and Awards
- Lucile Huntington Wilkinson Memorial Scholarship, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2021, 2022
- iSchool Travel Scholarship, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2021
- Grace Hopper Celebration Conference Sponsorship, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2021
- Doctoral Fellowship, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC), 2020
- Graduate Bursary, Christ’s College, University of Cambridge, (Declined) 2020
- Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarship, SSHRC, McGill University, 2019
- Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarship, SSHRC, Dalhousie University, (Declined) 2018
- Arthur B. McDonald Prize for Academic Excellence, Queen’s University, (Declined) 2018
- Judith Rice Henderson Bursary in the Humanities and Fine Arts, 2018
- Mary Lou Ogle Award for the Study of Communications, 2017
- Hannon Undergraduate Scholarship in English, 2017
- R. A. Wilson Memorial Scholarship, 2017
Publications & Papers
Selected Conference Papers
Hickman, Miranda, and Perkins, J. Marie. “Deepening Attention, Changing Minds.” Turning-points: The Poetics of Crisis and Catastrophe, American Comparative Literature Association Annual Meeting, 10 Apr. 2021.
Perkins, J. Marie. “The Evolution of ‘An Ancient Strain’: Walter Scott’s Lay of the Last Minstrel and the Substantiation of Poetry.” New Materialist Approaches to Sound Conference, 19 Oct. 2019, Columbia University, New York.
Perkins, J. Marie. “‘The Truth in My Opinion’: Boswell’s Life of Johnson and the Limits of Literary Representation.” 25th Annual McGill English Graduate Conference, 16 Feb. 2019, McGill University, Montreal.
Selected Interviews & Press
“Research Radar — J. Marie Perkins.” Interview conducted by Gabrielle Machnik-Kekesi. Gender, Migration & Madness Research Project, 3 Sep. 2021. Concordia University. gendermigrationandmadness.ca/2021/09/03/research-radar-j-marie-perkins.
Wolfe, Lowell. “How the Pandemic Has Fuelled Poetry’s Popularity.” The McGill Tribune, vol. 40, no. 17, 9 Feb. 2021. mcgilltribune.com/a-e/how-the-pandemic-has-fuelled-poetrys-popularity-02092021.
Nami, Shafaq. “Fictionalizing Science: How Literature and Film Have Shaped Modern Technology.” The McGill Tribune, vol. 40, no. 11, 17 Nov. 2020. mcgilltribune.com/sci-tech/fictionalizing-science-how-literature-and-film-have-shaped-modern-technology-171120.
Clow, Laura. “2020 Montreal International Poetry Prize has Officially Launched.” McGill University Arts Life Magazine, 26 Apr. 2020. mcgill.ca/arts/article/student-stories/2020-montreal-international-poetry-prize-has-officially-launched.
Invited Talks & Panel Discussions
Perkins, J. Marie. “Sentiment Analysis: What Is It, and How Can It Be Used?” School of Information Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 15 Nov. 2021.
Perkins, J. Marie. “‘The Intellectual Eye’: Romantic Poetry, Visual Perception, and the Poetic Imagination.” M.A. Roundtable, 26th Annual McGill English Graduate Conference, 14 Feb. 2020, McGill University, Montreal.
Perkins, J. Marie. “A Fieldguide to Fellowship Applications.” M.A. Bibliography & Research Methods Seminar, 23 Sep. 2019, McGill University, Montreal.
Perkins, J. Marie. [Untitled Talk]. Why Study English?, Department of English, 12 Feb. 2019, McGill University, Montreal.
Perkins, J. Marie. “Frankenstein, Ballet, and the Invisibility of Intellectual Labour.” Afterlives of Frankenstein, Department of English, 31 Oct. 2018, McGill University, Montreal.
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Computational Social Science, Social Computing
- Computing for Social Good
- Data Analytics and Human Centered Data
- Data Curation
- Digital Humanities
- Information Visualization
- Natural Language Processing, Text Mining, Text Analysis, Computational Linguistics
- Network Science and Network Analysis
- Semantic Computing and Technologies
- Social and Information Networks
- Social Media