Teaching Assistant Professor
PhD, Astronomy and Astrophysics, University of California, Santa Cruz
Other professional appointments
Visiting Scholar, NCSA
I am currently Teaching Faculty at the iSchool, UIUC and a Visiting Scholar at NCSA where I teach & research methods for efficient and engaging data visualization in technological fields. Before my current appointment I completed the National Science Foundation and the Institute of Theory and Computation Postdoctoral fellowships at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. My Ph.D. is in Astronomy & Astrophysics from University of California, Santa Cruz where I studied feedback in star clusters with numerical simulations, and later simulations of galaxy formation.
I'm also active in outreach and educational activities, particularly in the mentoring of students and development of open source visualization tools.
Courses currently teaching
- Fall 2022 - Data Visualization - IS445BCG
- Fall 2022 - Data Visualization - IS445BCU
- Fall 2022 - Data Visualization - IS445OAG
- Fall 2022 - Data Visualization - IS445OAU
- Spring 2023 - Independent Study - IS189JPN
- Spring 2023 - Independent Study - IS389JPN
- Spring 2023 - Data Visualization - IS445ACG
- Spring 2023 - Data Visualization - IS445ACU
- Spring 2023 - Data Storytelling - IS457OAG
- Spring 2023 - Data Storytelling - IS457OAU
Online: Monday and Wednesday, 10–11 a.m.
Publications & Papers
Clustering-informed Cinematic Astrophysical Data Visualization with Application to the Moon-forming Terrestrial Synestia, Aleo, Patrick D.; Lock, Simon J.; Cox, Donna J.; Levy, Stuart A.; Naiman, J. P.; Christensen, A. J.; Borkiewicz, Kalina; Patterson, Robert. 2020. https://arxiv.org/abs/2006.00084
Cinematic Visualization of Multiresolution Data: Ytini for Adaptive Mesh Refinement in Houdini, Borkiewicz, Kalina; Naiman, J. P.; Lai, Haoming. July 2019. DOI: 10.3847/1538-3881/ab1f6f
Houdini for Astrophysical Visualization, Naiman, J. P.; Borkiewicz, Kalina; Christensen, A. J. May 2017. DOI: 10.1088/1538-3873/aa51b3
AstroBlend: An astrophysical visualization package for Blender, Naiman, J. P. April 2016. DOI: 10.1016/j.ascom.2016.02.002