The American Library Association (ALA) will hold its 2023 Annual Conference and Exhibition in Chicago on June 22-27.
On June 24, the iSchool will hold a reception in honor of the 2022 Robert B. Downs Intellectual Freedom Award recipients, the defenders of the New College of Florida. At the ALA Awards Presentation on June 25, Associate Professor Emily Knox will receive the Beta Phi Mu Award, 2023 Eli M. Oboler Memorial Award, and Beta Phi Mu Distinguished Member Award. During the conference, visit with the School at Booth #4737 in the Exhibit Hall.
iSchool participation at the ALA Annual Conference includes:
- Associate Professor Kate McDowell, Assistant Professor Matthew Turk, PhD student Xinhui Hu, and Adjunct Lecturer Zachary Stier will present "The Data Storytelling Toolkit for Librarians" on at 9:00 a.m. on June 24.
- MSLIS student Uyen T. Nguyen will present the poster, "Being International in Libraries: Reflection, recognition, and reality of international students and employees," with Sanga Sung, government information librarian at UIUC, on at 9:30 a.m. on June 25.
- MSLIS student Erica N. Rodriguez will present the poster, "Library of Congress and Blind, Visually Impaired, Print-Disabled Spanish-Speakers," at 11:30 a.m. on June 25.
- Assistant Professor Karen Wickett and MSLIS student Sarah Rebecca Gaglio will present "Dialogues in Metadata: Bridging the Gap Between LIS Education and Metadata in Practice" on at 2:30 p.m. on June 25.
- Affiliate Professor Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe will present "Challenges and Solutions in E-Resources Licensing" at 10:30 a.m. on June 26.