MSI, Michigan; MBA, University of Iowa
Other professional appointments
- Associate Professor, University Library
- Affiliate Faculty, Center for East Asian and Pacific Studies
Honors and Awards
- Highly Commended Paper (Award for Excellence) by Emerald Publishing for "International business students: a study on their use of electronic library services," Reference Services Review 32: 366-372, 2005.
- WISE Instructor of the Year Award, 2014.
Yoo-Seong Song is an associate professor at the School of Information Sciences and also holds an appointment at the University Library. He received his MBA from the University of Iowa and MSI from the University of Michigan. Prior to coming to the University of Illinois, he was a senior associate at Ernst & Young, specializing in e-commerce, high-tech, and telecommunications. He also worked at Accenture as a consultant and a market intelligence analyst at Tellabs. As an entrepreneur, he co-founded two information service firms in Korea—Logit International and Heavenly Seeds Media. He is currently working with domestic and international corporations to provide real-world projects via his experiential learning classes.
Courses currently teaching
- Fall 2023 - Consulting for Info Pros - IS380A
- Fall 2023 - Applied Business Research - IS494ABR
- Fall 2023 - Applied Business Research - IS514AC
- Fall 2023 - Information Consulting - IS534AC
- Spring 2024 - Consulting for Info Pros - IS380A
- Spring 2024 - Applied Business Research - IS494ABR
- Spring 2024 - Applied Business Research - IS514AC
- Spring 2024 - Information Consulting - IS534AC
By appointment, please contact professor
Publications & Papers
Song, Yoo-Seong (2019). A glimpse into academic and research libraries in North Korea: Collaboration to bridge societies. College & Research Libraries News, 80(2), 82-86.
Song, Yoo-Seong (2017). Embedded librarianship in experiential learning. In: C. Shi, L. Xiong, & M. B. Huang (Eds.), The Proceedings of the International Conference on Embedded Education and Instruction of New Models of Library Service: The 4th International Conference of Beijing Academic Network Library (pp. 297-303). Beijing, China: Capital Normal University Press.
Song, Yoo-Seong (2016). Strategic program development for university libraries – a case study at the University of Illinois. Korea Education and Research Information Services, 16, 369-383.
Song, Yoo-Seong & Lee, Jong-Moon (2015). A comparative study of mobile device use: a case study of University of Illinois and Kyung-Sung University. IFLA Journal, 41, 153-161.
Song, Yoo-Seong (2015). Assessing the Current State of Scholarly Resources on Korean Studies at the University of Illinois. Trends in Overseas Korean Studies Libraries, 13, 3-18.
Song, Yoo-Seong & Lee, Jong-Moon (2012). Mobile device ownership among international business students: a road to the ubiquitous library. Reference Services Review, 40 (4), 574-588.
"Managing Business and Economics Research Projects for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises," Global Marketing and Consulting Program, Ulsan, South Korea. July 2016.
"A Strategic Approach to the Transformation of the University Library and Business Research Services," National University Library Convention, Hong Chun, South Korea. June 2016 (Keynote Speaker).
"Future Career Options for Business Information Professionals," Kyung Sung University, Busan, South Korea. June 2016.
"Learning contemporary East Asia via experiential learning with international business programs." Council on East Asian Libraries Annual Meeting. Seattle, WA. March 29, 2016.